Antworten

MEYER FAMILY OF ALSACE AND LORRAINE 1700'S

315lucas
315lucas
Eingabeform: Grafisch
Navigation: Grafisch
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Still looking for records of my 4x great grandparents, Pancrace and Pauline Meyer. They both were born in Europe and emigrated to the United States in the 1830's (via Le Havre) where they purchased land and established a farm on the Erie Canal Road in Belfort, NY. The small town of Belfort was settled almost entirely by Alsatians, Swiss and Lorrainers, I'm assuming that is where they came from as well. Any further information on this family is greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Lucas Myers
femuse
femuse
You will get a better chance for answers in the french language forum.
[you can use google translate]

Board index - Forums français - Recherches généalogiques par régions et pays - Bouteille à la mer

https://en.geneanet.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=58

---------------------------------------
I saw "Yoder" in your tree.

I assume you know about the "Yoder Newsletter website" - I liked it so much that I downloaded the whole site several years ago.
Le but de ce Forum est echange entre tous les membres.
Merci de ne ne pas me contacter par messagerie avec des demandes d'aide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Si ne répond pas a votre question du forum, cela n'est pas parceque je vous ignore,
c'est simplement que je n'ai pas reçu de notification.
:evil:
femuse
femuse
Do you know that book ?

my Internet is too slow for me to check it.

they should have a bad OCR version [as .txt] and a PDF searchable version of original images of all pages:

"A history of Lewis County, in the State of New York, ..."
https://archive.org/stream/cu31924025959382/cu31924025959382_djvu.txt

Si ne répond pas a votre question du forum, cela n'est pas parceque je vous ignore,
315lucas
315lucas
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Thanks for the suggestion on the French language site. I have that book you mentioned actually. In it they mention my 4x great grandfather (George Boliver) which is listed as an early settler of Belfort. They also mention an, "Antoine Meyers/Meyer" but I have never seen this person mentioned in family censuses. Pancrace Meyer is buried at the St. Vincent de Paul Church in Belfort and his headstone reads: Benjamin Miers 1772-1859. Censuses taken in the 1850's place his birth date more around the late 1790's.
315lucas
315lucas
Den Stammbaum ansehen
I take back what I said about that book you referenced. I have a Lewis County history book that I bought at a Barnes & Noble in Syracuse, NY.
femuse
femuse
I remember that the Public Libraries in Syracuse and even in Watertown had a nice genealogy section you can consult only.

[what I remember well (from many years ago) about the Main Syracuse Library was the guard telling us not to leave our laptops unattended !]

I was just going to post that, but I see that you have it.
------------------------------------------------------------------
This is very tempting:

are you sure his name was Pancraz ?
Maybe he had a second 1st name ?

Palvine Miers
Birth Date: 1800
Death Date: 1885
Cemetery: Saint Vincent dePaul Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Belfort, Lewis County, New York, United States of America

Spouse:
Benjamin Miers
BIRTH 1772
DEATH 1859 (aged 86–87)

John Myers
BIRTH 1839
DEATH 5 Oct 1900 (aged 60–61)

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/46576031#
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/46576040/john-myers

315lucas
315lucas
Den Stammbaum ansehen
John Myers is my 3rd great greatfather and his father is who I am trying to gather more information on. His name was Pancrace/Pancratius (a Roman Catholic Saint and a common name back in those days), the German form is Bangraz...one has to assume it was anglicized to Benjamin.
femuse
femuse
I saw the name "Zehr" in your tree.

We know a Keith Zehr in Lowville.
It's a small world.

315lucas
315lucas
Den Stammbaum ansehen
My Grandmother was Arletha Zehr, her parents were Aaron and Nina Noftsier Zehr. My grandfather was Francis John Myers. All are deceased now unfortunately, but that’s life.
315lucas
315lucas
Den Stammbaum ansehen
I realized the 1772 birthdate was probably an error. If he was born in the year on the headstone it would put him at almost 90 years old in 1859. That longevity for his time period seems hard to believe so I assumed it was a clerical error. Maybe they meant to inscribe, "1792" on the stone instead?
femuse
femuse
mimi2002 hat geschrieben: 14 Juni 2019, 18:37 Belfort and his headstone reads: Benjamin Miers 1772-1859. Censuses taken in the 1850's place his birth date more around the late 1790's.

Tutuapp

9Apps

ShowBox

don't bother reading messages from mimi2002 - and be careful about clicking on these:

HE is the perennial SPAMMER on this site.

315lucas
315lucas
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Good thing I didn't click on that link! Thanks for letting me know.
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Navigation: Text
Den Stammbaum ansehen
There are a lot of spammers who use a sentence from a previous post, run it through a thesaurus app to replace some words with synonyms (an interesting process, I admit) and add a few spammy links.

As for the age, there were many people who lived past 90 in the past. The infantile and labor death rate brought the average life expectancy down, but if you survived past those difficult years, you could have a long life.
315lucas
315lucas
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Here is the ship manifest for B. Meyer. He is listed as a, "Steerage Passenger". Can anyone make out his point of origin? I can clearly see Alsace, Wuerttemberg, etc etc for other passengers, but cannot make out what was written for him.
Dateianhänge
Sylvie de Grasse Manifest.jpg
bretoncreole
male
Eingabeform: Text
Navigation: Text
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Zuletzt geändert von bretoncreole am 11 Juni 2021, 21:23, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Antworten

Zurück zu „France“