Antworten

Mathurin Charles Leon LAINE

Discussions regarding our ancestors who emigrated.
delainefamily
female
Eingabeform: Grafisch
Navigation: Grafisch
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Mathurin 'Charles' Leon LAINE. Born on 7 February, 1818 Etretat, Le Havre, Normandie, France and lived nearby in Ingouville on the Alabaster Coast. His mother, Berenice LAINE (daughter of Mathurin Lesne b.1757 and Margueritte Madeleine Salleneuve b.1766), married American whaling ship captain and master - Asa Bullard Casper in 1824, U.K. and again in 1828 in France. His registered Birth Certificate surname is LAINE, with ancestors of LESNE.

S. Mills. Adelaide, South Australia.
Zuletzt geändert von delainefamily am 31 August 2020, 12:03, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
crasy003
female
Hi S. Mills!

My name is Sara, and I am also a descendant of MCL DeLaine (he is my GGG Grandfather, a decedent of his 10th child, Arthur); and I am trying to trace him back too. The information you have is great, it's more than I know myself from my Grandma, and the DeLaine Family History Book (which we inherited after she died in 2009). I have hit a brick wall too when trying to establish MCL's French decedents, but I am studying at Flinders to be an Historical Archaeologist, so am taking any opportunities and tips to find new leads. I am going to some archive/family history search courses during May (History Month), and am planning to ask someone I know, who speaks French, to help me access the Le Havre Seine-Maritime archives. I will let you know if I can come up with any updates!

I would love to be able to add/update the DeLaine family book, as we have at least 9 new GGGG Grandchildren to add to the list since it was published in 2008!

Sorry I can't add anything new, but I thought you might be interested that my family is also looking for information on MCL!

Sara. :) :)
teammisti
female
Hi All
My husbands family are from the Arthur Edward line of Mathurin Charles Leon Delaine.
I use the Ancestry.com as well as other sources and have found that as an 11year old Mathurin or as he is listed on the passenger list Charles Laine accompanied his mother Berenice and step father Asa Bullard Casper and half brothers and sisters to America, arriving in New York in 1829. His mother seems to have been unmarried at the time his birth was registered. She married Asa in England in 1824 they had four children and then had another marriage ceremony maybe civil in 1828 in France. Of course this is what I think from what ive found, I'm open to other interpretations. I can't find anything further regarding the family in the US. The Mythology within the family has led me to believe that Mathurin was on the French whaling ship the Mississippi when it called int Pt Lincoln for supplies in 1839 .It was the first foreign ship to call into that port so there are newspaper reports of the event. The ship left then returned to try to locate two crew who jumped ship. No documentation as to what they found when they returned, but family mythology is that Mathurin jumped ship with the cook. My husband always thought it was Pt Adelaide but apparently at the time he is supposed to have jumped ship there was no Pt Adelaide. Your information regarding LESNE is new to me, I'll start looking for that on Ancestry. I certainly cant say what I have written is definative but the passenger list clearly indicates the details I have outlined. Frustrating to get a dead end in the US.
Looking forward to sharing information !
Cheers
Sandy
delainefamily
female
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Hi Sandy. I guess you are a relation of Sara, who I spoke with when I was in Paris recently, as you both are descendants of Arthur. Is that correct? I am a great granddaughter of Caroline De Laine - Mathurin and Jane's first child, and granddaughter of her son Alfred. The information about the family in US is fascinating. There have been many theories in the past about a connection of some type to America. Casper's family were American and I have details of them, so perhaps it was a trip to meet his family. Over the past year I have collating a huge amount of information and records of Mathurin, his family in France and distant ancestors, tracing back through both his grandfather and grandmother's families. As his mother Berenice Laine never married prior to her marriage with Aza, as you said, she retained the Laine name. On records, her father's name is spelt Lesne. Spelling of names did tend to vary in those times. I have just returned from Europe and visited very special places of our extensive ancestors' family histories. If you have a look on Familypedia under Mathurin's name you will see some updated information which I added in the past, but also some I did this week. But there is a lot more also. I will contact you via a message.
Susan Mills.
teammisti
female
Thankyou for the reply I will followup and view your information. I dont believe I know Sara but Arthur had 7 children. My husband is from the Reginal Reeves line. Its so interesting and I get side tracked trying to do both his family and then mine. I have been searching this site tonight but as I dont have a subscription its quite limited but at least I've made contact with you and Sara. Certainly knowing to look now using Lesne is helping too. Looking forward to chatting again. SANDY
teammisti
female
Hi
Which of Mathurins children is your fathers line part of? As in my previous post, my husband is from the Arthur Edward line. We are in Adelaide. Ian is one of 5 sons of Jean and Colin DeLaine.
teammisti
female
Hi Nicole

I certainly remember Ians mum and dad talking about Aunty Verna when they were alive.
Since I've been looking at family trees both mine and Ians I've realised we should have asked more questions when the older generations were alive. I use Ancestry.com but it is still limited in what it provides. This forum has provided access to other branches which is great. Looking forward to hearing from all those in this thread.
Cheers
Sandy
teammisti
female
Hi Susan K
I believe Susan Mills has the best information that may be what is on the Wiki site. She has been to France and researched in great details. Looking forward to more updates. See her posts above.
Sandy Delaine wife of Ian great grandson of Arhur Edward.
delainefamily
female
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Hi everyone on these posts. It's great to make our connections on Geneanet from early queries which have led me to uncover some exciting facts. Some of the answers to our adventurous Mathurin's life led me on a magical mystery tour recently, and to visit many places where are ancestors lived was such a thrill. After my surprise contact when I was in Paris from Sara in Adelaide we chatted about catching up when I came home. Since then this Geneanet thread has grown. I am wondering if we could organise a group get- together for those interested. I am in Adelaide. There is still more to share about our mystery man. I will shortly publish what I know but at present thinking about the most effective way.
Susan Mills.
delainefamily
female
Den Stammbaum ansehen
Hi
I have just entered new information on the Familypedia site regarding Mathurin's whaling years including dates of voyages; ship names; destinations; Master of vessel and Disarmament notes regarding Mathurin from Le Havre on the ship 'Asia'. These show when Mathurin disembarked in the Bay of Islands.
Regards, Susan Mills.
crasy003
female
Hello fellow DeLaine decedents!!

I have finally found this post! I got an email notification for it last June, and I never saw it again!! I am Sara, and I was lucky enough to get in contact with Susan Mills early last year while she was in France, and have been trying to get the low down on what was found out!! My son and I went to West Terrace Cemetery to try and locate Mathurin's grave site, but couldn't find it! Does anyone happen to know the location? We looked at hundreds of graves and gave up!

I see there are a number of people on this forum I haven't met, who are also decedent's of Arthur? Arthur's daughter Luna was my great grandma. She grew up in the house on De Laine Ave, Edwardstown.

I am going to read this thread properly now.. I see my name was mentioned a few times lol. I'm just glad I finally found this thread again!

Sara.
crasy003
female
"As in my previous post, my husband is from the Arthur Edward line. We are in Adelaide. Ian is one of 5 sons of Jean and Colin DeLaine."

Hi Sandy!

I have just found a photo of your husband, Colin on page 181 of the family history book.. the photo was taken at my Grandma's house in Jan 1999 :D :D My family branch is Arthur - Luna Giles - Betty Andrews - Cathryn Craig - me! (page 192)

Sara.
crasy003
female
I have the book l, but it is the only copy in our family. They do have it at the SA Library, but I don't think you can take it off premises? I had been planning to scan the book to my computer though, so I have a back up.. would you like me to to try and email you relevant pages when I get that done? The book is over 200 pages long, and mostly family trees, so I probably wouldn't have to send all pages!
Let me know?

Sara.

PS. I have attached a photo of the page I think you are on?
20200911_125929.jpg
crasy003
female
I also just found this on the front page!
20200911_130436.jpg
jadelaurie
male
I am a descendant of M.C.L de Laine.
Very interested in this thread.
My grandmother created a family tree from MCL senior down.
It’s about 40 pages, I have taken a photo of a cross section to me.

The family Pedia page was quite interesting on him.
Dateianhänge
Snapshot of family tree
Snapshot of family tree
Antworten

Zurück zu „Emigration – Ship Lists “