Antworten

Looking for a DNA test company for genealogy

Discussions regarding DNA & Genetic Genealogy.
fpelatan
male
Eingabeform: Grafisch
Navigation: Grafisch
Den Stammbaum ansehen

Good evening from France ( SouthWest ) !

Would you have the details of a company making DNA tests for family genealogy ?

Thanking you in advance,

F.Pelatan

aldugas19
male
I had mine tested by the National Geographic Genographic Project (https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com). Once you get your results you can (if you choose) also uploard them to other DNA sites. I've uploaded mine to Family Tree DNA (https://www.familytreedna.com/) for comparison against their genealogy DNA database. They also have multiple surname, location, heritage, etc projects you can join.

Al Dugas
xanina
xanina
Navigation: Grafisch
Den Stammbaum ansehen
I had mine tested at Ancestry.com. which is located in Utah, USA. Because of national laws in France (and perhaps other countries) Ancestry cannot accept DNA samples from people except in the USA. So -- if you REALLY want to get your DNA tested, you may have to have a friend in the USA obtain the kit from Ancestry and somehow get it to you. I don't think a sample of your saliva may be imported to the US legally. But, if you know someone who is traveling to the US and who would rish putting it in his luggage, well..... that might be a solution. Or else, of course, you would be welcome to come here and do it. :D
ericdubois
male
Volunteer moderator
Navigation: Text
Den Stammbaum ansehen
I had my test done by FamilyTreeDNA. Many companies use the same lab for processing and allow you to download the raw data and upload it to other sites. So it's not really a problem.

I was born in Europe and found relatively few close matches compared to my wife whose French Canadian origins result in many more matches. It looks like the majority people who took the test are in the US or Canada, partially because of the laws and partially because of the commercials. I also found that many people took the test to find their ethnic origin (as touted by the commercials) but have no interest in genealogy and don't reply to contacts.

It was an interesting experience but, in my case at least, not very useful for genealogy purpose.
Antworten

Zurück zu „DNA - Genetic Genealogy“